Tuesday, December 05, 2006

D&E not D&C


So my D&C became a D&E which uses vacuum instead of cutting.  Apparently this is supposed to be a little easier on my body.  In respect to the procedure, it seems to have been. 

I do love my clinic, the only downside is that they are so busy that we were away from home for over 8 hours yesterday.  We left at 10am for a 12:30 procedure which didn't get started until 2:30pm.  I guess I was in the room for about 15 minutes total and spent the rest of the afternoon 'recuperating'.  I was a bit lightheaded but not really feeling much pain.

Last night was painful and crampy but not so much that pain killers were necessary.  Just uncomfortable. 

I guess now is just the recovery time.  Physically my body isn't bad.  I have a little extra weight, but nothing unusual for a cycle.  Everything that started to change due to pregnancy has already returned to normal.  I just have to deal with the mental baggage now.  I feel like this was all a dream, that I never really got pregnant.  Like it was all a delusion.  There is no proof that there was a child involved at all. 

The doctor sent the tissue for testing to determine if there was a chromosomal issue, but asked if we want the tissue returned to us afterward.  Both H and I were in quick agreement, NO.  Thank you, but no.  I can't imagine bringing the tissue home for a 'burial'.  That is not the kind of closure that I need in this case.

Again, thanks to everyone for their thoughts and good wishes.  So far things seem ok, and H is already talking about the next cycle.  I am not ready to discuss that yet, but I guess we will see.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had to go through this. I'm glad the physical part was not that bad, but man the mental baggage sucks. Thinking of you.

Nico said...

I'm also glad that physically you're okay, and the procedure wasn't too bad. I am so sad, though, that you're going through this again.

Anonymous said...

This is all so hard. Wish there was a way to ease your pain and speed the healing.

Thalia said...

I'm really glad you had a D&E they are supposed to be much easier. Of course it goes without typing that I'm horribly sorry that you had to have one at all.

Just be aware that as far as your body is concerned, you are still pregnant. Your hormones will take a few days to come down, hcg will be in your system for at least 10 days. My doc warned me that I'd feel my hormones crashing 2-5 days after the procedure and I did. The day after I was ok, the second day I was a total basket case, just could not stop crying.

I'm wishing you as easy a time as possible recovering from this.

Hopeful Mother said...

I am so sorry for what you have gone through and are going through. I hope that you are able to start healing now - I can not imagine how hard this must be.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.